The Centers for Applied Science and Technology is a 501 (c) 3 network of public-partnership schools working with San Antonio area independent school districts. The CAST mission is to reinvent schooling to maximize options for students, while preparing them for the jobs of the future. By partnering with CAST Schools, leaders have the opportunity to play a direct role in the career readiness of students and provide mentorship to help students seamlessly transition into college or the workforce, while nurturing a homegrown and committed source of talent. CAST Schools also partner with civic, higher education and nonprofit leaders to get students outside the four walls of school buildings and into workplaces, travel, and other real-world experiences.
Location: San Antonio, TX
Reports to: CAST Schools Executive Director
The ideal Communications Director must believe in the mission of CAST and be committed to, above all else, elevating student voice. Specifically, the Communications Director provides the unifying strategy for all of the network’s communications, marketing and outreach. CAST’s communication has several central goals:
• Raise the profile of the network
• Tell the stories of students, in their own voices as much as possible – celebrate student achievement
• Highlight our partners
• Create, maintain, and manage an overall content strategy and calendar for organization
• Write, edit, and proofread all content across platforms including: website, blog, e-newsletters, social media, annual reports, and press activities.
• Develop systems to support the production of content from the schools, with an emphasis on student-developed content, including training of teachers and students and oversight of student interns employed by the CAST Network.
• Develop a strategy for annual outreach regarding recruitment and enrollment, to ensure that CAST School are successful in reaching annual enrollment targets
• Oversee a budget and a small group of external consultants (website, design, etc.). develop and execute an annual strategy to tell the story of the CAST Network, to include earned media, signature network-wide events, and ongoing interfacing and collaboration across multiple stakeholders and partners (ISDs, industry partners, schools, parents, nonprofit, higher education).
Ideally, the Communications Director will have an ability to design simple collateral, execute social media, produce videos and write copy. The Communications Director will have a strong attention to detail and the ability to work under tight deadlines. The perfect Communications Director will love working in a team, bouncing ideas off others, and making big ideas happen, and project managing to ensure successful implementation of the shared network vision.
As a Communications Director, a typical day might include the following:
• Presenting a 30-minute session on social media to CAST Tech students
• Developing a template for school-based videos to circulate to the schools for submission and/or competition
• Collect analytics for the CAST website and social media to include in our quarterly outreach report
• Post on CASTs social media outlets, repurposing content from across the various schools and connecting it to the larger education conversation
• Write and pitch a story about the newest student-led activity coming out of the campus
• Brainstorm ideas for communications content
• Brainstorm with the team how to more effectively partner with the industry advisory members around recruiting
• Reaching out to a partner to collaborate on a video testimonial for the e-newsletter and website
This might be the job for you if:
• You like to use creative problem-solving skills and are self-directed. You have a proven track record of exceeding goals and consistently make good decisions through analysis, experience, and judgment.
• You are action-oriented and drawn to the idea of a new organization. You enjoy seeking out new challenges and approach each new project with a positive attitude. You know that “Yes, and” helps move ideas along.
• You have exceptional communication skills. You can interact and effectively communicate with lots of different kinds of people. You make sense of and can explain complex ideas verbally and visually. You’re comfortable with written and verbal communications. You are comfortable with communicating in English and Spanish.
• You know your way around a computer, are tech savvy and adaptable to changes and new trends in the industry. You are well versed in content management systems, most specifically WordPress. You have basic graphic design skills and know your way around Adobe Creative Suite. You have some knowledge of HTML.
• You use social media to help inform, ignite, inspire, and connect. You write e-blasts and/or blogs that act as a call to action.
• You have a passion for young people, enjoy spending time roaming the halls of schools, and are inspired by the work of the CAST Network.
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field
• Communications, marketing or outreach experience (at least 3-5 years)
• Skills in one of more of the following: website, graphic design, storytelling, videography, public relations
The Centers for Applied Science & Technology is an equal opportunity employer and offers a great benefits package that includes health, dental, vision, and 401k. You must pass a background check prior to employment.
To apply for this job please send an email with CAST Comms Post as the subject header to email@example.com with the following (as PDF attachments):
• Cover letter with salary history and requirements
• Three references (at least one of which should be someone you worked with in the last year)